Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Why?

I have been participating in a group to try to get my business recharged. Energized. Updated. Moving forward. And there was a video that was recommended and I recently watched it. It talked about why you do what you do.

Do I know why? Do you know why you do what you do?

When we were kids (or when my kids were kids!) and we asked our parents "why?", sometimes we were told: Because I said so. My mom said it, I am sure her mom said it and I know I have used it a time or two. Or three. And it worked. We were the authority. In charge. No questions need be asked.

Why did we use it? Sometimes because it was the millionth question in a row and we were tired. Other times it was because they were just questioning to question and we were tired. Sometimes it was just easier than the long winded explanation of what made our decision correct. And sometimes, we just wanted them to obey and not question. Because we were tired.

Listening to that video, I wonder about my business why? Why do I do what I do? And why would anyone want to play along?

And really, Because, is a very good reason. Because I can't imagine not doing it. I love to sew. I love to design. I love fabric- the colors, the texture, the feel (well, the feel of good fabric, not the cheap stuff!). I love the way it makes me feel- sometimes calm, sometimes energized, sometimes just inspired to create. I love yarn for the same reasons- the colors, the texture, the feel. I go into yarn stores and run the skeins of yarn across my cheek. I have a small basket of yarn on my mantel because it makes me smile.

And I love the finished products- the quilts. The bags. The scarves and sweaters. The colors of the quilts all blending together in spots, making contrasts in others. The feel of the quilting as you run your hand along the top of the quilt. The feeling of accomplishment as you look at what you created.

And I love to share- share what I created and to see what others have created. It is inspiring, calming, rewarding, energizing...

So, why you may ask?

Just because.

Happy quilting,
Kate
p.s. I am sharing a little giveaway - click on this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! So leave us a note and please come back soon!