Tuesday, July 31, 2012

CQC FQ Challenge Day 1 and Four Weeks in Colorado

This week will mark four weeks that I have been in Colorado. It really is a beautiful state even with all the tragedy they have recently experienced.




I have been spending time trying to get our apartment livable and organizing my sewing room. So far, not too bad though there are piles hidden in closets, the garage, etc. You get to a point where you say, Enough! So instead, Elizabeth and I are starting to really get back in the swing of things quilty and are working on some designs that have been on hold due to said move. So we have two patterns that are really coming along- designs for four more ready and just waiting on directions and fabric. It is exciting to get back in the quilting saddle.

Last Saturday, I went with my new quilting friend Shirley to the Colorado Quilting Council monthly meeting down in Canon City. It is about a two hour drive from here. The CQC usually has a national speaker at their monthly meetings. This month it was Rob Appell. I would post pictures of the great quilts he showed us, but unfortunately my camera died! So check out his website to see some of the great things he does. He is a dynamic speaker; lots of fun.

While we were at the meeting, they handed out two FQs to everyone as a gift from the Royal Gorge Quilt Council. Hmmm.. what to do? I could just add them to the huge stack of FQs littering the sewing room but I decided instead to do a little self challenge.

So here are the fat quarters I received at the meeting. Not really fabrics I would normally choose, but I like the stripe. I searched thru my stash and found some fabrics to go with them. Three of the fabrics I found are FQs and the green is a 1/4 yard cut.



So, I made a couple of mug rugs. One has green for a binding and one has red.



What do you think? I used the striped fabric is on the back.



And a variegated thread and a cute squiggly stitch to machine quilt them.



What shall I make next? I am not planning ahead with this so I may end up with a pile of one fabric and not much of anything else. The only plan is to make something each day this week until the fabric runs out!Stop by tomorrow and see what I do!

And keep checking back here. We are going to do a "Moving to Colorado" giveaway soon and maybe even  a tutorial later  in September on a quilt we showed here a while back.

In the meantime,
Happy quilting
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! So leave us a note and please come back soon!