Thursday, August 2, 2012

CQC FQ Challenge Day 3

OK. I made some simple things for today's post.

These are so fun and quick that they were perfect for this challenge.

Two coasters.



I used the stripe again on the back. And you can just see the print peeking out from the center of the coasters.



What do you need to make these?
I used six fabrics. Five on the front and one for the back.


Cut:
  1. 4 1/2" square of the back fabric and the center fabric 
  2. 4 1/2" x 3 1/2" (or 4 1/2" x 4"- depends on how big you want the center hole to be. I used the                         smaller size.)
  3. 4 1/2" square of light batting


Now, it would have made sense for me to take pictures of the coasters as I made them. But I didn't. So I guess I am going to have to make another one to show you how to do this!

Lay the center fabric face down. (yes, the center, not the back.)
Lay the batting on top of the center fabric and then the backing fabric, right sides up. The dark green print is my back.



Fold the other 4 fabrics in half WST so they measure 4 1/2" x 1 3/4". Press.




Now lay each folded fabric on top of the coaster, raw edges even, with the fold to the center of the coaster.


When you lay down the last one, tuck one edge under the first one.


Stitch all around the coaster with a 1/4" seam. Backstitch at each end. A walking foot is helpful. Feel free to pin before you sew. I just went for it!


Now, if you have a serger, yo could use that so the ends are finished. Or you can zigzag them. I don't usually do either because, well.... I don't have a serger and besides, it's a coaster! That and my "card" for my sewing machine with the zigzag stitch on it is broken. Died. Kaput.



Trim corners.  If you are not familiar with this term, it means to trim across the corner to reduce the bulk when you turn the piece.


Turn the coaster so the four fabrics are on top of the center fabric and the seams are hidden inside.


Push out the corners with some sort of pokey thing. I have a great wooden skewer that I got in a bag of stuffing.
Done!





I made two! Aren't they cute! 
And they are going in my guest room because the fabric matches the quilt on the bed!
See ya tomorrow!

happy quilting,
Kate


1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you posted about the coasters! I have been meaning to make a couple more (only having one just isn't cutting it).

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you! So leave us a note and please come back soon!