Thursday, September 6, 2012

so many projects...

Wow. September already! Where did the summer go? Don't we say that every year?

I got back from my whirlwind trip back east to see my son and his wife before they left for Scotland. It was really nice to see them and spend time with her family as well. The bonus was seeing my younger son who came up from Florida and my daughter. It was a real family weekend.

We had a lovely time relaxing by the water in Maine.


I was able to bring the blue quilt to my cousin and gave it to her. Luckily she loved it!



You can't really see the quilting in these photos but I quilted it using Aurifil 50 thread- I had a nice blue in the top and an off white in the bobbin. I did a lot of in the ditch, a little cross hatching and then a cute heart design in the dark blue stars. I would have done more, maybe some stippling in the lighter areas, but I ran out of time!


This is the back- I did not have quite enough of this really cute yellow butterfly fabric that I found in my stash, so I pieced some leftovers from the front and made a strip down the middle!


 While I was in CT, I was able to pick up two new quilts that Laura McCarrick at Always Keep Quilting quilted for me! She did an absolutely, positively, amazing job! I am in love with both of them.


These are two new patterns that are almost done! They have been tested and the patterns are written; I just need to bind these beauties, get some lovely cover shots and they will ready to go! These are just a sneak peak; you will have to wait to see the whole quilt!


They are part of a series that Elizabeth and I are working on- quilts named after out cats. The blue quilt is Huey Louie and the bright one is Daisy Mae. 

Of course, what I did I do my first day back in Colorado? Did I bind them? No, I made a few goodies for friends. I made this journal for a friend. I printed the words out using transfer paper, ironed them to my fabric and then added it to the journal cover. 

Like it?


I like quilting the top of the journal covers. I add a little interfacing and quilt along the seam lines. It adds a nice touch. I used an Aurifil 28 thread for this one. It is a little thicker and therefore it stands out a little more. Which is what I wanted for this project. And it was so nice to use- worked beautifully in my machine. I used an S stitch to quilt with. I forgot to take a picture of the inside but I added pockets inside the front and back covers as well. Good for sticking pieces of paper or a pen.

I also made a few project bags. I love these bags. They are about 8" x 12" and a great size for small projects- knitting or quilting. These were gifts but soon I will make some more for my Etsy shop. It has been sadly neglected since the move.



Maybe I will do a little tutorial on the journal cover someday soon. 

First I have some quilts to finish. And two more patterns to write.

happy quilting,
Kate

p.s. Next week we will post about our fall giveaway. So far, no requests so you are going to get... well, whatever strikes our fancy I guess!



1 comment:

We love to hear from you! So leave us a note and please come back soon!