Monday, February 11, 2013

Project Quilting

Good Monday!

Yesterday was the day to submit your latest creation for Project Quilting, Week 3. The theme for challenge #3 was Annie's Vision. Your project was to be inspired by the art of Annie Young.

I thought it was a great challenge and I was really excited to create something. But for some reason, I struggled with it.

Right away, I knew I wanted to create something with bold color and lots of texture, I wanted it to have flowers and there was a quote on her blog that I loved. So I had my inspiration.

And that was all I had. I pulled some fabric from my stash, pulled some more and just couldn't seem to get out of my own way. Does that ever happen to you?

Sat morning arrived and I had yet to start the quilt. And the picture of the finished product had to be posted by 12noon on Sunday. And, since I was not sure which time zone that meant, I thought I better post by 10am my time, just in case!

The only fabrics I had out at that point were two potential pieces for the background. I wasn't sure I liked them, but I decided that they were it and I just had to push forward. So I pulled some colors for flowers and decided on a general plan and then left.

Left? Yes, hubby and I had planned to go to the Denver Art Museum to the members only preview of the Georgia O'Keeffe exhibit. A great exhibit on her called Georgia O'Keeffe in new Mexico: Architecture, Katsinam and the Land.
Great show. Go if you can.

I came home and made this.



It has floppy grass, a heart yo-yo flower with buttons, a dimensional star flower and woven stems.


And yes, I used some of the flowers from my pattern, Stars in my Garden. Hey, I was in a time crunch!

But it has the texture and vivid colors I wanted. And I was able to post it well before my time limit on Sunday am! Done.






There are some amazing quilts that people created from this challenge. And I learned that sometimes you just have to go with what you have and where you are. And to push ahead and see what happens.


happy quilting,
kate

I made the stems using the Diva Cord Maker from Fibergoddess. I had to do something on the car ride to the museum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! So leave us a note and please come back soon!