Friday, November 2, 2012

Market

We got back from Market Wed afternoon and what a great time we had in Houston!

We flew in Sat and walked the Market floor. There is so much to see! I wish I had taken more pictures but you get the idea. rows upon rows of booth filled with amazing stuff!



Sat night we took a class on being a good exhibitor at Market from Shelly Stokes of Cedar Canyon Textiles- we were looking for tips for the spring when we will have a booth at Market in Portland. She had a great lecture and we did pick up a few tips! It will be great to do something different with our booth. We also met up with some old and new friends including Kathleen from Mountain Patchwork.

We took a class Sunday morning on zippers from Linda McGee of Ghees - Elizabeth hates zippers so you know who picked this class! We did not get to sew but we did get a lot of good tips. And we were given a bag project ready to sew together. How nice! Don't you love the two color zipper?


The fabric is pre quilted- now I just have to decide which is the outside and which is the inside.
Ghees has a great little book on zippers with tips and such called Zip Couture.


Then more wandering on the Market floor- more meeting up with people- quilters are such a great group of people!- and then on to get an updated photo of the two of us. Looking good- well, actually Elizabeth looks good- I look OK. I played with my hair, and forgot to fix it back before the pictures! Then again, that is more my style- not quite put together!

We got up bright and early Monday morning to take a class on Organization for Creative People with Julie Moberly. I am one of those that seems organized on the outside, but don't look in my sewing room most days!

Monday night we took another class. This time I took a class called Wonky Table Runners with Heather Scrimsher of Fiberosity. She gave us a kit- some of the gray fabric was already cut out, we had to sew strips together, then cut out shapes using the Accuquilt Go! Cutter. It was fun, especially for the ladies who had never tried a Go! cutter before. I have the Go! Baby cutter- so much fun!

I was able to get my runner sewn and quilted- not bad! I just have to do the bright red binding!


My last class of Market/Festival was illusions with Caryl Bryer Fallert. Oh my! 

(If you don't know her quilts, pop over to her website- it is so worth it! She is amazing!)

First we had to pick a kit- there were quite a few color choices. I had such a hard time! Then it was off to cutting the paper pattern, listening to directions, sewing, pressing, more sewing... and viola!
This is my top:


I will sew black borders on next (I have it sitting on black) and then a print border. Love it! And it really is easier than it looks. I could have put on my black borders in class but I was having fun chatting and playing with all the beautiful fabric she brought! 

The really fun part was comparing my top to some other ladies who took the same kit- they all looked different! It just depended on which fabric you choose to put with the black and whether you had more lights or darks.

See how different this one is from mine?

Elizabeth took some great classes as well; one on machine quilting, an appliqué class with Karen Kay Buckley and one on creating the perfect studio. Sounds good, huh?

I love taking classes- there is so much to learn and they provide such inspiration to get back in my sewing room and create.

All in all, a great trip.

I am off to put on a border, or to plan how to quilt my Illusions quilt, or to sew on a binding. Options! They all sound like more fun than laundry and grocery shopping, don't they?

happy quilting,
Kate





No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! So leave us a note and please come back soon!