Monday, January 14, 2013

Project Monday

Hi everyone? How are you this week?

I wanted to share the block I posted on the Project Quilting site this past week. I teased you with pictures of sections of the quilt, but I wanted to wait to share until I was all done.

The Project Quilting challenge this past week was "Square in a Square".


I immediately thought of a block from our pattern Far East Holiday.






Here is a whole quilt using that block.


Then I thought it would be fun to use some of the hand dyes my friend Marcia and I have made. I had to keep the overall quilt small, as each hand dye is less than a fat eighth.

I showed this group to you all the other day. 
I tried a few other color combinations but just really loved this one. 
A good triadic color group: golden yellow, aqua blue and fuchsia.


I tweaked the block a little, adding more colors than the original called for- the original uses just three colors. But I wanted to get a shaded effect and the effect of more squares.



Then I made four blocks.





Once I had the four blocks together, I had to decide how to quilt it. I really wanted to keep the squares front and center and I was afraid that to much quilting in each square would take away from the effect.

So, I went with stitch in the ditch, except for the center.






After much debate, I decided to use a heavy thread to give it some extra pizazz since I was quilting in the ditch. I went with an variegated Aurifil 12 wt thread.










And that concludes my first Project Quilting Quilt. My Square in a Square challenge quilt called: "How many Squares do you see?"

Have a great week!

happy quilting,
Kate








No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! So leave us a note and please come back soon!