I wanted to share the block I posted on the Project Quilting site this past week. I teased you with pictures of sections of the quilt, but I wanted to wait to share until I was all done.
The Project Quilting challenge this past week was "Square in a Square".
I immediately thought of a block from our pattern Far East Holiday.
Then I thought it would be fun to use some of the hand dyes my friend Marcia and I have made. I had to keep the overall quilt small, as each hand dye is less than a fat eighth.
I showed this group to you all the other day.
I tried a few other color combinations but just really loved this one.
A good triadic color group: golden yellow, aqua blue and fuchsia.
I tweaked the block a little, adding more colors than the original called for- the original uses just three colors. But I wanted to get a shaded effect and the effect of more squares.
Then I made four blocks.
Once I had the four blocks together, I had to decide how to quilt it. I really wanted to keep the squares front and center and I was afraid that to much quilting in each square would take away from the effect.
After much debate, I decided to use a heavy thread to give it some extra pizazz since I was quilting in the ditch. I went with an variegated Aurifil 12 wt thread.
Have a great week!